It is heartbreaking to think that after discovering where/how we got sick was either our workplace or home, there is the reality that we may have to continue to live in proximity to what is responsible for making us sick. If you are stuck living in mold, while many doctors say it is futile to cleanse until you remove yourself from the mold source completely—we believe anything to help mitigate the damage is beneficial. As they say, there is always something you can do – Even if it’s taking some herbs, a red light and a binder, it’s helping.
You will need to keep a weathered eye out for where mold could be lurking. It’s secretive and it’s deceptive. Mold doesn’t want to be found so knowing what to look for or hiring a professional and vetted company to inspect is strongly recommended. It is possible to help make living/working with mold slightly more tolerable:
- Allow as much sunlight exposure as possible
- Dust regularly & often (dust feeds mold)
- Replace a/c filters regularly with 10FPR or MERV 20
- Manage humidity by using dehumidifier
- Cleanse regularly & follow the food guide even when not cleansing
- Frequently clean mold exposed items
- Use air purification units in your most frequented areas
- Keeping an eye out for buckling, peeling, cracking or stained paint
Non-porous items like hard plastic, glass, metal, sealed wood or ceramic may be cleaned with surfactant based cleaner like dish soap. Some mycotoxins are fat soluble and can stick to oily surfaces. You can also use vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or EC3 Mold spray.
Porous or semi-porous items either need to be thrown away or stored away from the home to revisit later. Things like clothing, unfinished wood, silicone, soft plastic, paper/cardboard, rubber latex and foam all fall into this category. Clothing is the exception; if it has visible mold on it, bin it. Clothes that are able to be saved need to be washed and dried somewhere other than your home.
If you have confirmation that your home has mold, there are some deal breakers that shouldn’t be left to haunt you while detoxing: opened food products in cans, jars or boxes, squeezy toys that hold air or water (even if you don’t have mold, the squeaky bath toys can grow their own ecosystem), opened make-up or personal care products, hair dryer and brush, in fact, you should probably part with them if you have to move.
With all this said, protection is important as well. You want to wear Personal Protective Equipment as you clean anything contaminated, it is important to cut down on the exposure. Wearing it all, goggles, gloves, a respirator and a tyvek suit would be a good start to keeping the mold off of you and out of you. Again, when mold feels threatened, just like a parasite will dump eggs when it knows the end is near, mold will spew spores to continue its existence, so be careful to not breath them. Don’t use Chlorine Bleach solutions to clean, this will cause mold to do just that (spore explosion), it’s like they smell it coming.